When it comes to building with limestone, whether it’s a retaining wall, feature wall, planter box, or boundary wall, the question is do you build with reconstituted Limestone Blocks, or Natural Limestone Blocks.
Here’s a bit of information about the two;
- The weight of the blocks is considerably lighter especially when you’re laying a lot of them! For a 500x350x240mm (standard small retaining wall block) weighs 67kg each compared to ReCon 78kg. 11kg is a heap when laying 100+ in a day with 2 people.
- Easier to cut, Cuts like butter with a new diamond blade.
- Generally Cheaper by a couple of bucks per block
- Don't age like Natural blocks; though if you want that look, pour milk over the blocks.
- Because they have cement in them, they don’t deteriorate over time as fast as natural blocks, plus they are stronger than Natural.
- Generally, you will get a better line with ReCon as they are from a mould, so they're pretty much bang on the dimensions you ask for, where as Natural can vary slightly.
At the end of the day I think it comes down to personal preference, and what would look better with your overall concept. If you have a more formal garden, or English, or Italian themed garden I would suggest natural limestone blocks. If you’re going for the modern look, then go ReCon.